Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Living In The Moment

I’m a mom + career woman in a non-stop balancing act between maintaining home front happiness and striving for workplace success. It’s enough to drive a girl mad! About a month ago I went to the local library to look for some self-help books on finding peace and balance in my world-gone-crazy.

I found three books and checked them out. I didn’t even have the time to crack the spine of two books before they were due back to the library. The third book, Slowing Down To The Speed of Life by Richard Carlson (author of Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff) and Joseph Bailey, I finished last night…after extending the check-out time by a week.

(Does anyone else find it ironic that I can’t find time to read books about maintaining life balance?)

The book presents ideas for managing thought processes, which translate into feelings and moods. As I’ve erratically picked up the book over the last month, it’s been manifest to me that I’m a champion worrier…which translates into stress overload and eventual emotional mayhem. (This revelation comes as no shock to my husband.)

How does a mom + career woman control her thoughts when they are all over the place like Mexican jumping beans in a hot tin can?

The authors suggest that we shouldn’t dwell on the past or worry about the future so that we may “live in the moment” and thus slow down to a more enjoyable lifestyle.

(Really? I’m responsible for a highly-publicized event that includes 2,000+ people and I’m not supposed to stress about it?!?! Do you think these events just plan themselves?)

What I have learned is this: “living in the moment” doesn’t exclude planning for the future. If we never thought about the future, we wouldn’t need our careers to help us make the next mortgage payment, provide health benefits for our families, build a college savings fund for the children, and stash away money for retirement.

Living in the moment requires that we focus on what is happening right now. When I’m at home, I enjoy being with family, and the feelings of love, acceptance and repose. When I’m at the office, I benefit from spending time in a productive environment, working with co-workers towards common professional goals. When I focus on what’s happening right now, I can feel a sense of accomplishment on both the home front and at the workplace.

I like this quote by Frank Herbert: “There is no secret to balance. You just have to feel the waves.”

I am determined to ride the waves as they come and keep my thoughts focused on the moment. My goal is to make the most out of every minute of every day…regardless of my location or the task at hand.

Carpe Diem girlfriends!

1 comment:

Camille said...

I hear you! How do we learn how to balance our life when we don't have time to "learn" about it! :) That's why the quote you posted holds true. We just gotta ride the waves. And as long as you've got it on the forefront of your mind, everything will work out! Thanks for finding my blog!

Post a Comment