Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Someone get me a Diet Coke and some Advil…Please

I don’t need to look at the clock to know when it’s 3 p.m. My body has an automatic internal mechanism that kicks into gear at 3 p.m. every week day. It manifests itself in the form of a dull headache followed by the inability to focus on whatever task is at hand.

If I’m in a meeting, I’m outta luck and have to tough it out. But I’m no hero when I’m in my office. I make a quick trip to the medicine cabinet followed by feeding the vending machine a couple of quarters for a Diet Coke.

***POOF***

Headache gone. It’s magic.

One of the nice benefits of working for a financial institution with a branch on the main floor is the convenience of getting coins for my Diet Coke emergencies. If you viewed my monthly checking account statements, you’d note several cash withdrawals for 50 cents.

My Diet Coke habit is well-known among my work associates. Last year, for Boss’s Day, my team bought me a two month supply of Diet Coke refills at the store across the street. True story. I hired them because they are smart…and being smart includes knowing how to keep your boss happy.

At home, the fridge is always stocked with a 12-pack of Coke Zero with Vanilla. We keep bottles of Advil in the kitchen and in the bathroom. It keeps mom motivated, coherent and pain free on the weekends.

For my family, friends and acquaintances who think I will never kick-the-habit, I have news for you…I already did. During both pregnancies, I actually went without caffeine and ibuprofen for nine months.

Twenty minutes after our second daughter was born, my attentive husband asked me if I needed anything.

My response?

“Yes…a Diet Coke.”

1 comment:

Valliere said...

You're a better mom than I...I craved Coke Slurpees while pregnant with Bryson. I've often wondered if that indulgence contributed to his learning disability!

Post a Comment