Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Full Time Job, Part Time Slob

My neighbors probably don’t recognize my profile photo. I’ll admit that there is a little Photoshop action going on…but that’s not the reason. My neighbors won’t recognize me because when I’m at home, I look like a slob.

I love to put on my high heels and accessorize for the office, but by the time I get home after six o’clock I’m kicking off my shoes and slipping into something a little more comfortable. And by “comfortable” I mean old jeans with holes, vintage t-shirts with stains, and my hair pulled back with claw clips.

It’s not pretty. In fact, it’s quite frumpy.


A quick check of my closet and you’ll find the following attire categories:


  • #1 business professional;

  • #2 business casual; and,

  • #3 at-home frumpy.
I have little money for cute “casual weekend” outfits due to the clothing demands of #1 and #2.

This can be a problem for the random Saturday night date with my sidekick or a more rare girls’ day out.


“I have nothing to wear,” I’ll yell from my overflowing walk-in closet.


I realize this is not true…I have plenty to wear. It’s just I have nothing quite suitable for the fun, light-spirited occasion at hand.


And let’s be brutally honest…if I’d drop 15 lbs there would be more options from my “hope closet” in the other room.


***SIGH***


The combination of a limited budget for clothes and little will-power to “just say no” to carbs has created a frumpy, slobby person that I see every time I pass by the mirrors in my house.


In all reality, I’m living a double life.


My neighbors couldn’t pick me out of a line-up at the corporate office.


Just a few weeks ago I noticed my neighbor in the corporate building and walked up to say “hello”. He gave me an odd look so I introduced myself. His guarded response, “Oh… I thought you looked familiar.”

I’m hedging my bets that he had no clue who I was and may still be trying to figure it out.


And my co-workers couldn’t spot me in my neighborhood even if I was wearing a vintage “GWCU Staff 5K For Schools” t-shirt working out in the yard…

...or at the very least wouldn’t admit our acquaintance if they did in fact recognize my frumpy alter ego.

1 comment:

Meili said...

I love this. I did the same thing when I worked for you. Professional garb, or pajamas! Now I'm still trying to figure out what to wear as a stay at home mom. I don't want to be the mom in yoga pants and a sweatshirt, but most of my clothes are from my days in the office. I haven't even touched my slacks in two years, but they're still there in the middle of my closet. (Of course, I have the same 15 pounds problem since having the punk, so I can't fit into them anyway. Dang carbs!)

Post a Comment