Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Multi-Tasking Should Be An Olympic Sport

I recently came upon this interesting statistic:

People classified as “Generation Y” can fit 44 hours of tasks into a single day.

I don’t want to take anything away from Gen Y, but I complete 44 hours of tasks long before the sun sets on a daily basis. I’m a multi-tasking working mom who proudly hails from Gen X.

At the office I’m checking voicemail, answering email, returning text messages, viewing website analytics, organizing files, and signing invoices all while taking notes during a webinar.

On my lunch break I’m driving the pre-school carpool, followed by the dry cleaner, pharmacy, post office, gas station, car wash, library, and/or sometimes the salon for a quick pedicure.

When I get home I’m making dinner, unloading the dishwasher, loading the clothes washer, listening to the playground politics report, and checking homework all at once.

(The other day I tried to “Tweet” on my Blackberry while walking on the treadmill. I found out that I’m not coordinated enough for that type of multi-tasking.)

There are only 24 hours in a day. If I’m going to sleep for at least six of those hours, I’ve got to make the other 18 hours count!

If multi-tasking ever becomes an Olympic sport, I’ll place my bets on the working moms in the race. The mom + career women I know are already training for the multi-tasking Olympics 24/7/365.

I’ve become so multi-tasking oriented that I have to remind myself that when it comes to family time, I really need to focus on my husband and our children. And nothing else. It’s not as easy as it sounds.

I keep thinking (hoping, wishing, dreaming) my life my will S-L-O-W down. I just must make it happen. With the lazy (?) days of summer before us, I’ve set a goal to spend more time dedicated 100% to my family.

I think that I’ll call it solo-tasking.

1 comment:

Meili said...

Solo-tasking. I like it.

Yes, I usually check FB, email, blogs, etc. while eating breakfast with Calvin. I think sometimes it's best to just put the iPhone away and have a "conversation" with the punk.

Post a Comment