Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm A Vuvuzela

I’ll admit it…I don’t watch much soccer.

My Twitter account ***exploded*** on Saturday when the U.S.A. scored a goal in the World Cup. So I turned on the game to support the red, white and blue. Then I thought I heard this swarm of angry hornets going through the house. Or could it be locusts? Do we even have locusts in Northern Utah?

Go to commercial. Buzzing gone. The annoying sound was coming from the TV.

Found out later it’s the Vuvuzelas at the World Cup. For the soccer illiterate such as myself, a “Vuvuzela” is the long, horn-like instrument that the fans blow at the games. When there are thousands of Vuvuzelas blowing at once, they make an irritating buzzing noise…like you are about to be attacked masses of mosquitoes.


So I guess it’s kind of ironic that I was annoyed by the “buzz”. Because honestly, that’s my career in a single-syllable word:

BUZZ!

I’m all about marketing/advertising/public relations/communications for my employer. It’s what I studied in college and it’s been my career for 16+ years. I create BUZZ. Lots of it.

I could actually be defined as a Vuvuzela.


So the question remains…am I creating a good buzz or annoying buzz?

(And no, I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs so I’m not just “getting buzzed”.)

I love this quote by Marie O’Connor:

“It is not how busy you are, but why you are busy. The bee is praised; the mosquito is swatted.”

Am I the mosquito or the bee?

Am I praiseworthy? Or, am I at risk of getting swatted?

I’m probably a hybrid of the two. A sort of beesquito, if you will.

Perhaps I should update my profile on LinkedIn:

“I am a professional Vuvuzela in the industry, creating a beesquito buzz for the organizations, products and services I represent.”


Dare me?

3 comments:

http://hyesung000.blogspot.com/ said...

90 days free to try and study!
120us to start an enterprise! Grow up automation system
You could be making $2,000 to $5,000 of extra income every month!

http://sn.im/vemma_usa

Renee said...

You may be a beesquito, but your an effective beesquito.

MartinCrew said...

beesquito....love it! Great new word :)

Post a Comment