Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Wonder Where She Gets It

The other day we received a letter from my 8 year-old daughter’s new school teacher. In the letter the teacher introduced herself and said that she was excited to meet our student, etc. I thought it was a nice gesture from her soon-to-be third grade teacher.

Without our knowledge, our daughter wrote a return letter to her new teacher. She put it in an envelope, sealed, addressed and stamped it before my husband and I even knew what was going on.

I found the sealed letter on the kitchen counter, so I asked her what it was about.

Me: Did you write a letter to your new teacher?

Lauren: Yes. She sent us a letter so I thought that I’d write her back.

Me: That’s nice of you. What did you write about in the letter?

Lauren: I just told her about me, what I like to do, and that I’m excited to meet her too.

I don’t know why I think that’s so funny, but I do. After all, what third grader just writes their new teacher a letter the week before school starts?

As my husband said, obviously our child is trying to "get in good" with the teacher from the get-go.

And I suppose it’s in her genes. After all, Public Relations is a BIG part of my career. But this wasn’t a calculated PR move. This wasn’t even the result of parental encouragement to charm a new teacher. It was a sincere letter from a young student to her new teacher.

I’ve been known to say that everything...every event...every statement...every action...is a PR move. All of our communication – verbal, electronic, body language, appearance – all of it reflects who we are and what we want others to believe about us. Rarely does someone say or do something publicly with absolutely no regard of how it will be perceived by others.

Unless you’re 8 years-old. If you’re 8, then you simply write your teacher a letter telling her that you’re excited to start school because you truly are excited to start school. Nothing complicated. That’s it. What you see is what you get.

How refreshing!

1 comment:

Post a Comment