Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bittersweet Day

I've already given you my thoughts on back-to-school. Watching my two girls get on the bus together this morning was so bittersweet. All the way to the bus stop Jenna kept saying "I'm so excited to ride the bus" and "I'm so happy to go to Kindergarten."

We followed the bus up to the school so we could walk her to class. When we met her on the sidewalk, she promptly told me "No mom...Lauren (her 3rd grade sister) will take me to class."

"Please?" I begged. Pathetic, yes...but I really wanted that mommy moment.

I would expect no less from my super-independent five year-old. After a few minutes of pleading, she agreed that we could walk her to class.

A couple more photos, and she sent us on our way. Mom and Dad were no longer necessary. Jenna had fulfilled her obligation to let us fuss over her on this big day, and she wanted nothing else to do with us for the next 3 hours.

I held it together. My voice only cracked once as the tears welled-up in my eyes. I'm determined to be as strong as my five year-old.

But I can't stop thinking about her! How I wish that I could be a fly on the wall in that Kindergarten class today!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Aww you made me cry reading this. How sweet. I remember those day. So bittersweet.

Katie @ http://www.smworkshop.com said...

Aww! I'm thinking about 4 years from now when mine is 5 and what I will be doing his first day of school...will he let me walk him to class? He better!!
I hope you survived those 3 hours without her. :)

Post a Comment