Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Holiday Shopping Drama

I feel compelled to do Christmas shopping. And I hate Christmas shopping. Loathe may be a better word to describe my attitude about the holiday shopping season.

I can’t stand the long lines. I detest the packed parking lots. I refuse to pay shipping & handling costs for online purchases. I will not get up at 4 a.m. to breakdown the doors of a big box store the day after Thanksgiving.

I just want to get it over with. My true “blue” personality wants to cross the task off of my checklist. If I could have all of the gifts stashed away in my super-secret hiding place by Halloween I would be quite content.

But that just won’t work. Why?

Because I have a hard time passing up a great deal. As much as I hate Christmas shopping, I’m a sucker for a good buy. And you and I both know that there are going to be some fabulous offers from retailers during the next two months.

If I get everything I was planning to purchase for Christmas before Halloween, do I have the self control to not buy anything else holiday-related for the next two months?

What if a super great deal comes along on Black Friday?

Perhaps one of my gotta-buy items will go on sale at a better price after Halloween?

On the other hand, if I don’t get it now will it be out-of-stock later?

Oh, the dilemma! I can feel the anxiety coursing through my veins! Quick…someone pass me a Xanax!

I know that I should just focus on “the reason for the season,” but it’s only October. It’s a bit too early to put out the nativity set (although I’ve seen those in the stores as well).

In my la-la land perfect world, I would forego all of the holiday shopping and gifts for a family vacation. We would hop on a plane December 23rd and head for the resorts of southern Mexico singing “Feliz Navidad” the whole way. Christmas day would be spent lounging in the white sand underneath a palm tree, my husband massaging my feet, my girls body-surfing the waves, and my cabana boy bringing me margaritas (non-alcoholic, of course).

Yet, the question remains. If I had my dream...a family Christmas vacation on the beach…could I (would I) resist the allure of bargain basement prices on “must-have” items that come along during the holiday shopping season?

It has become clear that I simply must take an exotic vacation beginning Columbus Day through the New Year’s Day holiday. Not only will I be more relaxed, but in the end it may be less expensive.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I hate xmas shopping. I hate the black friday crap ecspecially. I have been thinking of a trip in lieu of gifts this Christmas but haven't convinced my husband yet. If not I am just doing cash for my teenagers and call it a day! Not into it at all this year

Post a Comment