Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love.

I just finished reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

This book has been on my “want-to-read” list for about a year. And no, I haven’t seen the movie starring Julia Roberts.

(Are you kidding me? Actually going to a movie that doesn’t target elementary-age children? I haven’t done that in more than a year!)

To show you how clueless I was on the book, I didn’t even realize it is non-fiction. It is a true story written by a 30-something girl in search of her self. Her life is an emotional ghetto after a divorce, so takes off traveling for a year in an attempt to heal her spirit. She picks three countries to live in…spending four months in each. Her choices? Italy, India and Indonesia.

Loved. This. Book!

First, the author is hilarious. I imagine she could write a book about washing machine repair and I would LOL the entire way through it.

Second, the author keeps it real. (Well, as real as you can be for someone in her 30s who takes off for a year without any legitimate responsibilities.) After reading her tale, I’m way more sympathetic towards anyone who has gone through a divorce.

Third, she lives in amazing settings! Italy has always been on my top-10-places-I-want-to-visit list. I’ve never, ever wanted to go to India…but the author almost persuaded me it wouldn’t be so bad. And I never thought about Indonesia until now…Bali sounds awesome. (Honestly, it’s the middle of winter and I’ll take just about anyplace that has warm weather and a beach right now.)

There are tons of great quotes from the book, but here are a couple of my favorites:

“You are, after all, what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are a slave to your emotions.”

And

“As smoking is to the lungs, so is resentment to the soul; even one puff of it is bad for you.”

In case you’re wondering about the title, I’ll sum it up without trying to give too much away.

While traveling through Italy, she spends a lot of time eating. (It was like "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" from the Food Network…only Italian style.)

In India, she practices intense yoga and meditation. Hence, the praying. (And yes, it made me realize that I need to get my big butt back into a yoga class.)

And in Bali, she finally begins loving herself and others. (I won’t tell you that she falls for an older Brazilian guy. Oooops…I just did.)

It was a great read. And while I’m envious of her travels, I do not envy her personal journey of self-discovery. I’m content knowing who I am and what I want to accomplish in my life. I love my husband and want to be with him forever. I love our girls more than I can say. That’s my chosen journey. There’s really no need for me to leave my front porch to figure that out.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I too loved this book. Read it a few years ago. Watched the movie last week. Movie... not my favorite.
Anyways.... I loved when she was in Naples and eating those amazing pizzas and described her feelings with the pizza. She said she loved the pizza so much she had convinced herself that the pizza loved her back.
I get that. I too have love affairs with food.... :)

Adrian's Crazy Life said...

I just finished it last week. Now I'm dying to go to Italy and Bali, but I could skip India. I loved the guy though. Anyone who loves their kids as much as he does is OK in my book, even if he doesn't look like Javier Bardem. But I did think she was horribly self-indulgent. I could never do some of the things she did.

PS: Her explanation of divorce - it's like going through a bad car accident, every day for two years. Man, that would certainly make you think twice.

Alice Wills Gold said...

thanks for the review. it's been on my to-read list for a long time. and you moved it up a few spots. hope to get to it this year.

Post a Comment