Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Hunger Games


I probably wouldn’t have joined the masses in reading The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins had I known they are so violent. In fact, if anyone had spent more than two minutes telling me the plot of the books I wouldn’t have read them because I normally don’t go for thriller sci-fi stuff.

All I ever heard was, “you’ve got to read these books…they are really, really good.”


So I had to find out for myself.


It’s true. All true.


These books are incredible.


And violent.


It’s the “good vs. evil” kind of violence. Good people die. Bad people die. In fact, I don’t think a chapter goes by that someone doesn’t end up dead or have a near-death experience.


Thrown into the mix is a love triangle. One girl torn between two guys who love her.


I know what you’re thinking, “a love triangle, how original.” But hold on. The two guys in
The Hunger Games series have more backbone than Edward and Jacob in the Twilight books. These dudes aren’t love-sick puppies clamoring for the affection of a zero-personality high school girl. In fact, I bet there are guys out there who have read these books and now harbor man-crushes on Peeta and Gale (despite their unmanly names).

Self-respecting men can read The Hunger Games. I'm not so sure I can say the same about Twilight.

I’ll just say it…
The Hunger Games kicks butt on Twilight.

And in the final chapter, the girl ends up with the guy who, in my opinion, was the better choice. (Unlike
Twilight, where the girl ends up with the dumb vampire.)

But going beyond the romantic storyline,
The Hunger Games series is about good overcoming evil. It’s the classic “David and Goliath” saga where simple, somewhat ordinary people are thrown into an impossible situation and come out on the other side victorious. It's about never giving up despite the odds.

But make no mistake…this is not a feel-good series with a perfect happily-ever-after ending.
Although I was satisfied with the conclusion to The Hunger Games, it didn’t exactly leave me with warm fuzzies. Justice prevailed in the end, yet I couldn’t get past the incredibly senseless acts of violence. Perhaps that was the author’s intent.

Victory, and often love, can often be bitter-sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am about halfway thru the 2nd book. I didn't want to read it either when Ryan gave me a summary of the story. It's hard to put down.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Love triangle for a Heroine who has slaughtered food and people, and who is likely to sit down for a nice bowl of Squirrel-n-Maggot Pie???

It's just downright insultingly cliche in a world that was too inappropriate for such a fickle flight of fancy.

Just My Opinion...

But I was enjoying reading The Hunger Games, thinking how refreshing to have a novel with a female protagonist that isn't a love-starved fickle ditz... a girl who is actually world-wise, savvy, and driven... and she's appropriately slowly maturely finding love along the way... to only then be railroaded with the Edward vs Jacob malarkey at the end... BARF!
Cheap plot device... and again... BARF!

Post a Comment