Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pursaholic



I found out this week that I have an emotional crutch. Apparently, I carry around this tangible item to help me feel better about myself.

It's my big purse.

That’s right, according to a recent online article, a large handbag is a grown woman’s security blanket.

“It’s a reflection of the woman’s roles as caretaker,” says Linda Abrams of the Philadelphia-based Council for Relationships.

“Women in general see themselves as natural caretakers and nurturers,” she says. “They’re anticipating all the things that they might need or someone else might need. They want to be prepared, just in case.”

There’s even a term for women who are extremely dependent on their huge bags.

You guessed it: Pursaholics.

So I decided to pull everything out of my big purse to figure out if I’m truly ready for whatever comes my way. This is what I found:


  • Gum
  • Lotion
  • Two lip balms and three lip glosses
  • One bottle of Tums
  • Two Motrin bottles …one for kids and one for adults
  • Three cough drops
  • Spray hand sanitizer
  • One Kleenex packet
  • Two nail files
  • Nail clippers and tweezers
  • Pocket mirror
  • Hair brush
  • Mini notebook
  • Four receipts
  • Three pens from my credit union
  • Coupon organizer with at least 50 coupons
  • Renewal notice from the Utah Drivers License Division
  • Business card case
  • Basketball ticket stubs
  • Two checkbooks
  • One wallet…with 60+ loyalty cards, membership cards, gift cards, ID cards, debit cards, and credit cards (this is whole different blog for another time)
  • $13 in cash and another $2.13 in coin

(Interesting note…neither my keys nor my mobile phone were found in my purse.)

With this purse inventory, I’ve determined that I’m prepared for bad breath, chapped lips, sore throats, runny noses, and headaches. I can save $1.00 on two boxes of cereal, and I’m one more lunch away from getting a free meal at CafĂ© Rio. I have $10 in giftcards for Starbucks, and I don’t even drink coffee.

Even with everything that currently dwells inside my purse, I have plenty of room for more. It’s really that big.

In fact, I might be a hoarder on a micro level…a purse-hoarder. As long as I can keep fitting more stuff in that bag and heft it around, I’m not taking anything out.

And when I finally do run out of room, I’ll just find a bigger purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment