Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Interview Questions

Out of the blue, the mail carrier dropped off a package with a book at my office. It’s always nice to receive an unexpected gift. The book is titled Profiles in Marketing Excellence by Pamela Lockard. It profiles marketing professionals who are at the top of their game. I don’t know Pamela personally, but I certainly do appreciate her thinking about her partners in crime (errr, marketers)!

In this book, the author asks the marketing pros who are profiled to answer a question with another question: “What is your favorite interview question?”

I don't know about you, but I've been asked some odd things over the years as I have been interviewed for different jobs. For example:

“Would you leave this job if your husband found a different job out-of-state?” (Seriously? Is this 1960?)

“Why did it take you six years to graduate from college?”
(Missionary service for 18 months in Argentina.)


“You are never to speak with anyone in upper management unless you go directly through me first. Will you have a problem with that?”
(Yes...I think I have a problem with you.)


Always looking for fresh material, I decided to borrow some of the interview questions found in this book to use when I’m hiring for positions in my marketing/sales department. It could make the interview process more insightful…going beyond the normal “what are your strengths and weaknesses?” or “where do you see yourself in five years?” or “what is the last book you read?” Blah! (Everyone already has canned responses for those questions anyway.)


Check out the questions below and ask yourself how you would personally answer them in a job interview.


How do you choose your socks in the morning?


Why wouldn’t I hire you?


What is the best advice you ever received?


What is the higher purpose that drives you?


What do you wish you would have done differently in your career?


What ideas did you have this morning on your way to work?


What would you do if you only had one more day to live?


How much of your success is accidental?


Feel free to tell me your favorite (or worst) interview question in the comment section. I need all the help I can get!

1 comment:

Meili said...

I'm surprised you didn't get any comments on this post; it was a good one! I had a weird boss one time at a credit union (not GW) that asked me in my interview if I were an animal, what would I like to be? Having only a second to think about it, I replied that I would be a fox because foxes are clever. He told me that he was concerned about my answer because that implied I was sneaky. I had to clarify that I just like to be smart about things, not sneaky.

Post a Comment