Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Life Without Diet Coke

I gave up Diet Coke two weeks ago. It’s been a long two weeks…for me, my family, and my co-workers.

And when I say Diet Coke that includes Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr Pepper and pretty much any carbonated beverage that has caffeine. I thought about giving up soda all together, but today I caved and purchased a diet cherry limeade from Sonic.

(Sidenote: Yes, I realize that once they mix in the cherry syrup, they’ve probably added more than enough sugar to make-up for the “diet” part of the diet cherry limeade. I'm not crazy enough to give up caffeine and sugar at the same time.)

I’m not even completely sure why I’m on this quest. I’ve had a couple of friends tell me that giving up Diet Coke helped them lose weight. I can’t see how this is possible because I’ve become a carbaholic in the last two weeks. I’m so tired from the lack of caffeine in my system that I’m grabbing candy, chocolate or whatever other sugary-substance I can find to help me stay awake. (Thank goodness there is an endless supply of Dum-Dums lollypops just one floor down from my office!)

I read online that giving up caffeine would be similar to, and I quote, “coming out of a fog after the first three or four days.” Whatever! If this is what it feels like to be fog-free, then throw me back into the swamp. Things were much clearer when I was on my caffeine buzz.

I must admit that I am sleeping better at night sans the caffeine. Maybe I’m sleeping too well. I’m so tired that I’m dragging myself to bed by 10 p.m. and getting a full eight hours of shut eye. When’s the last time that happened?

I’ve been hitting the treadmill and Thursday-night yoga class to get those endorphins moving. Unfortunately, quality time on the treadmill at 6 a.m. doesn’t give me a boost for that 3 p.m. strategy meeting with the boss.

I’ve gone for long periods of time without Diet Coke in the past. With both pregnancies I gave up caffeine…and went right back to it within hours of delivery.

The jury is still out on the case if Diana will start feeling better without caffeine. We’re two weeks into the trial and I’m not a believer. But I’ll keep the faith. I’m not a quitter…yet.

3 comments:

Anna said...

more power to you.
i have tried this endeavor and failed many times.
live with d coke is better. you cant eat mexican without it.
good luck though. :)

Diana W. Windley said...

Update...It's been almost four weeks and still no diet coke. I'm still not convinced this is for me...could go back but want to give it a full 30 days.

Alice Wills Gold said...

I don't drink a lot of soda, but I also don't think I would dare give it up all together. What if you just limit yourself to one can a day or three cans a week for when you really need a pick me up?

Post a Comment