Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Somewhat Poor" EQ

The other day I attended a “Women In Business” luncheon where the guest speaker’s topic was Emotional Intelligence. I was so excited and motivated about her lecture on Emotional Intelligence that later on I Googled the subject to learn more. I found tidbits such as:

Emotional Intelligence is how we learn to be “smart” with our feelings.

And

Emotional Quotient (EQ) can be compared to IQ, or Intelligence Quotient. A person’s EQ measures how effectively they use their thoughts and feelings to make optimal decisions and build relationships.

Then I found an online test to determine my EQ. I took the 106-question quiz and awaited the results in anticipation.

I scored 88 out of 155 possible points, placing me in the 21st percentile (just a clarification...that's not so great). And then the quiz provided me the following summary of my EQ score (I'm providing my personal thoughts in red parenthesis):

“According to your self-report answers, your emotional intelligence is 'somewhat poor'. (What???) People who score like you may at times feel that they have trouble dealing with their own emotions and those of others. (Okay, this could be true.) They sometimes struggle to overcome difficulties in their lives and they are not always able to control their moods. (I’m not moody…am I? Of course, that depends on if I’m on a diet and/or lack of sleep. Or I'm stressed.) It may be hard for them to understand how best to motivate themselves to overcome obstacles and reach their goals. (I’m motivated by food, so that in itself is a problem with my goal to lose weight.) In addition, they find social interactions difficult at times, for several reasons. They may have trouble allowing themselves to get close with others, finding it difficult to be vulnerable enough to establish intimacy or perhaps lacking understanding of, or comfort with, social interactions. (Who has time for social interactions? I’m a working mom! That being said, I avoid “getting down in the weeds” with personal issues. Maybe it’s too many years in the business world attempting to appear savvy and tough.) Perhaps by working on your problem areas, you can become more confident in dealing with your own emotions and those of others. (My problem areas are my butt, thighs and gut. In addition, I have a problem finding time to shop for/cook healthy meals for my family and keep the house in a somewhat clean, orderly state. Another emerging problem area is the lovely crop of dandelions coming up in the yard.)

So there you go.


You are reading the words of a blogger who has a "somewhat poor" EQ. Apparently, there’s not a lot of emotional intelligence going on here.

Of course, I’m probably just confirming what you had already suspected about me. So thanks in advance for being my friend…and in particular to those of you who interact with me socially.

Apparently, I need all the help I can get! :)

4 comments:

TravAndAimee said...

It's not a lack of emotional intelligence, it's a constant need to be professional!:) Working teaches you to keep your emotions in check, not ignore them. "Work relationships: have to be kept at a level where emotions are sometimes removed (or bridled), it's hard to not transfer that into other social interactions. With that being said, i think you are great! I love it when you come over into our chaotic home every month!

Courtney said...

I think the 21st percentile is great! Statistically you are still within normal limits. Ever since I've been pregnant I feel below the 1st percentile! And to top it off I can't diet ;) let's hope this is all temporary!

amylynn said...

You are hillarious. I would love to take the EQ test for myself and see what great advice I get. Those tests are always so silly but yet we still take them...?

annie valentine said...

That is awesome, I'm going to go find a test.

Post a Comment