Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Stress Junkie

I have a new diagnosis: Stress Seeker

According to one expert noted in Women’s Health, some of us think we need to be stressed-out all of the time in order to really feel alive. The “rush” from stress stimulates hormones such as adrenaline, DHEA and cortisol. Tension can become addictive and bring on unhealthy cravings for more.

Like crazy, outta control addicts we actually seek-out stress!

So if stress is a drug, then I’m a junkie.

"Hello, my name is Diana Windley and I'm a stressaholic."

Recognizing that I have a problem is the first step to recovery, right?

I had no clue about what the second step could be, so I did what naturally comes next and “Googled” STRESS, which linked me to “Wiki” STRESS which led me to online info about CHRONIC STRESS.

Hooked, I kept reading. With every click of the mouse I could feel the tension increase in my shoulders and neck.

For the love-of-peaches, I don't just have STRESS...I have CHRONIC STRESS!!!

I linked to another website that said non-stop, stressed-out people feel like they must always be “on” and rushed and frenzied and frantic.

They might as well as added a footnote that said “See Diana Windley”.

Another article said that modern women see stress as synonymous with success. If we’re not totally overwhelmed, we’re not doing enough.

Yep, yep. All true. True blue.

And then there’s this…stress causes weight gain and irritability. (And I thought it was too much chocolate and lack of caffeine.)

My self diagnosis:



I’m just an outta control, chubby hamster running
fast and furious on the stress wheel of life.



It took me about an hour to realize that reading about the negative effects of stress is really counterproductive for someone who is trying to control stress. And writing about it doesn’t seem to help much either.

Hmmmm…

(And you thought you were following a blog about achieving work/life balance…ha!)

1 comment:

business101 said...

I don't like "stress". There's just so much in my life, that made me stressful almost everyday. Thinking about stress, if only I could give it to someone else.. I have plenty of those, with me.

_________
AML

Post a Comment