Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Weddings & Wars

I'm not a big TV watcher, so last weekend will probably go down in the record books for me.

For starters, it was the Royal Wedding on Friday. It's a good thing that we have the DVR because I just might have been one of those crazies who set the alarm at 2 a.m. to watch it live. Even then, I got up at 6 a.m. to check out Kate's dress. As expected, she was gorgeous.

And let's be honest ladies, so was David Beckham. My, my, my GOODness! But what was going on with his wife's six-inch stilettos? I L-O-V-E heels, but seriously...how did she walk in those things...and pregnant to boot?!?!?!

So after work on Friday night my daughters and I (with occasional participation by my husband) sprawled-out across the sectional couch to watch the wedding. It turned into a hilarious 3-hour commentary on women's hats.

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie? C'mon!

What. Were. They. Thinking?

On a more serious note, the second big TV-watching event of the weekend was unplanned. We turned on the TV for the first time on Sunday after 9 p.m. to find out the Osama Bin Laden had been killed.

Dead. Finally.

My husband and I were glued to the TV 'til midnight.

Stunned.

Last year the war became personal when my cousin was killed in Afghanistan. Until that moment, I had never personally known someone who died in war. My cousin's funeral was one of the best, most patriotic experiences that I wish I never had.

It's hard to explain, but it felt "right" to me that Osama Bin Laden was shown no mercy by team USA. (And this is coming from someone who doesn't support capital punishment.)

When the weekend started, I was proud to be an American because we had the good sense not to wear ridiculous hats. By the time the weekend was over, I was filled with pride for a much better reason.

God Bless America!

1 comment:

The Three Freckles said...

Holy cow Beatrice and Eugenie and the expressions on their faces, whoo those girls need more beauty sleep is all I can say! Yes, indeed God Bless America, I was glued as well Sunday night.

Post a Comment