Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Eavesdropping at DFW

Last week I was sitting in the DFW airport with my husband and our girls waiting for our return flight to SLC. Airports are awesome for people watching and eavesdropping. (Don't judge…you do it too.)

In the waiting area at our gate, we sat across from a man and a woman dressed in professional business attire. I gathered they were work associates on a business trip. The very tan, 30-something woman was dressed-to-the-nines in a black skirt, silk blouse, high heels, and some swanky bling (didn’t notice a wedding ring). She spared no expense on her appearance.

As I was attempting to control my 5 year-old, I overhead the woman tell her travel companion that she was tired due to a late evening at the salon. While she was getting her hair done, Mark Cuban’s wife came in for her appointment. Mark had given her an expensive bottle of wine to take along…no doubt to celebrate the Mavericks’ recent NBA championship. All the ladies in the salon stayed late into the night getting pampered and drinking fancy wine out of paper cups toasting the Mavs.

Oh, the glamorous life of a female business professional.

How must it be?

Wait a second…I’m a female business professional too.

But I do not live in fancy clothes and jet around the country for business meetings. Nor do I rub shoulders at the salon with the wives of NBA team owners. There’s not a lot of glam in the world of Utah credit union marketing.

I buy work clothes at consignment shops and bling made in China. My last business excursion was to Provo, driving the bright-yellow company Scion 100 miles round trip. And I sip Diet Coke alongside whoever walks into Essensual Salon in South Ogden on an occasional Tuesday evening after a long day at the office.

The experience left me wondering a few things:

Which scenario (mine or Mrs. Cuban’s salon drinking buddy) is the stereotypical female business professional?


Is this the difference between women working in upscale Dallas and not-so-alluring Ogden?

Would she look that great with a couple of kids climbing all over her?

And finally, how much does it cost to get your hair done at the salon that caters to Mark Cuban’s wife?

I guess that’s what I get for people watching and eavesdropping…plenty of questions for which I’ll never know the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment