Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Traveling with Children

Traveling with children is the ultimate test of patience for a wife and mother.

On our flight back to Utah from Dallas this week, I was sitting next to our 5 year-old trying to keep her occupied with coloring books, puzzles, tic-tac-toe, story books, snacks, etc. For 2 1/2 hours, every 10 minutes I was finding something else to keep her entertained.

A very generous flight attendant gave her a full can of Sprite, so I had to take her to the "lavatory". She loves the little bathroom with the little sink, little mirror, little towels, etc. For her, it's like a dollhouse. (Nevermind that there was a line for the only working lavatory on the plane...she was in no hurry to get out of there.)

Sitting across the aisle from us was my husband with our 9 year-old daughter. For the entire flight, he was reading a book and thoughtfully taking notes. Every time I looked over at him he was peacefully pensive...completely unaware of the battle taking place between his wife and 5 year-old. It was like he was at the library and I was at the zoo.

So I've decided that on our next family vacation I'm flying first-class and leaving him in the cheap seats with the kids. I'm going to put up my feet, read a book and sip a fancy non-alcoholic beverage. And if the 5 year-old has to go to the lavatory, I'll have the flight attendant remind him that passengers in coach are not allowed to use the first-class facilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment